Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Megapolis: Experience Farming at Endgame

This post was inspired by an anonymous comment on my Megapolis: How I Spend my Coins post about buildings that give you XP.  I understand the desire to lvl up quickly because it is a reliable way to get 1 extra Megabuck if you are saving for that expansion or an additional neighbor slot.

I have broken my analysis into two sections: Buildings and Contracts.  We will compare the XP rewarded from buying & selling buildings as well as all of the contracts for the population-based production buildings.

This post is intended to help you get experience when you are at the "Endgame," not necessarily at the start of your city.  I do not recommend buying & selling any buildings if you are just starting out.

Buildings:

In this section, I take a look at buying buildings & selling them for the sole purpose of gaining XP.  I started calculating all of the infrastructure buildings in the shop before realizing that most of them were horrible for gaining XP.  I knew about the Crystal Pavilion because I had read about it somewhere a while ago, but I found one that is better.  Here are the top 3:

     1) Therapeutic Center Foundation
     2) Crystal Pavilion
     3) Yacht and Cutter Design Bureau

As you can see in the table below, the Therapeutic Center Foundation gives you 27,500 XP for every million coins you spend buying & selling the structure repeatedly.



As a side note, all of the buildings that I sampled that ranked below those listed above had a rate of XP per million coins of less than 5000.

I planned on adding more data that compares XP rates per hour for taxing or collecting population from buildings, but I just do not have enough time to sample all of them.  Unfortunately, the Wiki does not always list the XP rewards for collecting, and the tooltips in-game do not either.





Contracts:

While I always recommend purchasing the contracts that have the best coin rate per hour that you can manage with your login frequency, I figured you might want to know which contracts give you the most XP per hour instead.  Thankfully, the Nuclear Research Center and the two contracts that I constantly cycle through are among the best XP building contracts longer than 1 hour.




My city has only Nuclear Research Centers for my population based contract buildings.  I run the 3 hour contract during the day and the 9 hour contract overnight.

Please feel free to comment if you have a question or an analysis request.  The past two posts I have written are based on anonymous comments (you slavedrivers!).



5 comments:

  1. As the commenter from yesterday who asked this question, you not only answered my question but exceeded my expectations. :) I was actually thinking more along the lines of structures that I could build "x" number of and farm that way. Didn't even consider buying and selling the structures for XP gain. Duh! haha That said, if someone wanted to build the structures (especially earlier on in the game) I'd assume something like the Pet Dinosaur Shop would be ideal due to:
    1) XP gain/hour
    2) 2x1 area
    3) Cost
    4) Coin ROI/hour

    Or do you think there is something better?
    BTW, don't feel obligated to do a ton a research into this if you don't have the time. You've already been more than helpful.

    Thanks, again. Keep up the good work!

    -Justin



    PS - What are your thoughts on the Shakespeare time challenge? In terms of resources, it seems to not be worth the investment to exceed past Stage 5 (Upgrading Shakespeare Gardens to Level 2). At this level you are provided a structure which provides coins/XP and get access to a contract which provides almost 97 coins/minute and 800 XP, every 10 hours. Whereas, completing the challenge you spend much more time/resources to get access to a contract that provides similar coins/minute and 1000 XP, every 12 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,

    I wrote a new post that examines periodic XP rates for infrastructure buildings. I hope this helps!

    As far as the Shakespeare timed quest, I have not participated. I have been too busy lately, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Therapeutic Center has been nerfed. The River Valley Treasury gives almost 60 000 XP/million coin, more than double the Crystak Pavilion. You can only build/sell one at a time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Central Treasury gives 116 900 xp/Mcoin. Also cuts down on build times - gives 1300 xp/build instead of 800.

      Delete
    2. City Center Cell Tower gives 111 111 xp/Mcoin. 500 xp/build.

      Delete